Sunday, June 20, 2010

Some Basics

So, having gone slightly goofy and bought my dream machine, there were some preliminaries. First I did not yet have a motorcycle endorsement on my driver's licience, so there was a bit of a delay. And freedom isn't free and its not even cheap!

Best $ I ever spent was to take the Harley Davidson Riders Edge course. In four days I was up and running and took my first ride on the Pearl the evening of the last day. More importantly, the Virginia DMV recognizes this course qualifying you to get your endorsement, a real plus. If you are reading this and thinking of doing the same, take the course!

And then there was gear. I'll be more specific later, but I got about $450 worth of gear. Helmet, jacket, gloves, boots, and a reflectorized vest. Fortunately my dealer gave me an in-store credit that handled this and then a bit.

The other thing my dealer did for me was provide my first year's membership in the Harley Owners Group (HOG). You'll be reading about them more over the course of this blog as they are the sponsors of the trip that this is all about.

Since then I've added an adequate rain suit and a set of bags. I think I am set for this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment